My "Pretty Song"...

Here's some comic (?) relieve for the "diatonic-chromatic-noise
paradigm"  thread and some indication that I'm not a complete
insensitive, cold bastard when it comes to soothing listeners.
Occasionally, when I feel I've tortured my audience long enough with my
self-indulgent experiments of sound and harmony, I provide them a
reprieve with this simple tear-jerker tune....let's call it my "pretty
song":

http://box.net/public/khartung/files/298935.html

Watch out for the clam (non-intentional avoid note) that I coughed up at
2 minutes, 186 milliseconds....that one about killed me. ;)  This is a
basic jazz original of mine in E minor, with a B section that is two
dominant whole step descending ii-V progressions, and a minor ii-V
progression that resolves back to E. It's looping at its most basic with
some Udu and cymbals for percussion.

More of this live stuff, recently posted to my web:
http://www.boisemusicians.com/hartung&miresse (click on "Listen to New
Live Soundclips")

Cheers,

Kris

>Kris Hartung wrote:

"Because I've grown weary of pretty....I've played diatonically for the
last 25 years as a guitarist.... part diatonic blended with "outside" in
the last 5, and now I'm pretty much thinking chromatically when I
improv....no key. It's just a personal quirk of mine at this point in
the game. Who knows, maybe in another 5 years, I'll be playing noise. :)