line 6 echo pro(batteries?)

na nu na nu.steping up from my dl4 to the echo pro seems logical,but im a dc guy/ i dont trust ac power and i like to be able to set up anywhere so rackmont is out. midi sync isnt import to me now but could use midi controll for expression modulations(i like to sweep the delay time in after i get an infinte repeat brewin n bubblin)and in half speed time, two minutes is more than enough for me.i think im leaning more towards a boomerang(that volume wheel looks cool)is the rang battery powered?my karmah tells me its not. thanks everyone here is very helpfull.(they were nice folks but they made a lot of noise at night)
scary.
mech <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
At 1:27 AM -0500 8/10/05, Jesse Kates wrote:

>I have a DL4. It's fine, but I am at a point where I need two things -
>
>1. Stereo looping
>2. Longer loop time
>
>I am not that concerned re: preserving the half-time and reverse
>function, cool as they are. I do need feedback control or a unit
>that overdubs with a slow decay like the DL4.

If you wish to stay on familiar ground with the Line 6 stuff, you
might also consider upgrading to the Line 6 Echo Pro. It has the
same feature set as the DL4, but is in an upgraded rack-mount chassis
with extra RAM (up to 60 seconds loop time in normal mode) and MIDI
control. You're going to run into two Achilles' heels with the Echo
Pro, however:

First, it won't sync to MIDI Clock. All of its major functions can
be controlled by MIDI commands, however.

Second, like the Jamman and the DL4, the Echo Pro collapses the loop
itself into mono, while everything else (direct sound, echoes)
remains in stereo. (argh! and again: argh!) This is and always has
been my major gripe with the EP, as well as all the Line 6 echo
modelers in general.

One way to get around this is by using two Echo Pro's in a "dual
mono" configuration, then have them sync to the same set of MIDI
commands. It works passably well, and can even be pretty interesting
on ambient pads as the left and right loops will eventually start to
drift slightly over some minutes -- adding somewhat to the stereo
effect. I posted an article to the list a while back on this, so you
can have a look through the archives if you're interested.

Wow! I just took a look at prices, however, and it seems as if Echo
Pro's are going up in demand. While I was able to pick up a pair
pretty cheap during a blowout, it's starting to look like the above
workaround is getting a bit spendy now. Used EP's seem to be going
for about $425 apiece on Ebay, but you can occasionally catch a "Buy
It Now" for ~$250 if you keep your eye out. If you've gotta go full
boat, though, I'd really consider instead getting one of the new
Repeaters when it finally ships.

As I said, the main advantage for the Echo Pro is that you'll be able
to expand on territory that is already well familiar to you. The
downside is that you'll still inherit a couple of limitations of the
DL4. Still, it's an option worth considering...

-- m.
--
_______
"Now Simulcast on Crazy People's Fillings"