Re: OT: MP3 Sites with Non-mainstream Artists

Wind Stick Devil wrote:
> Hi,all:
>
> I haven't been motivated to obtain an iPod or similar. But, I've been
> thinking recently about how nice it would be to have all my Harold Budd,
> John Abercrombie, Zbgniew  Preisner (as a couple examples) albums on one
> device.
>
> The question is: are there sites that have this kind of music for
> purchase? I know I can load this stuff to my PC but time is one thing I
> don't have a lot of (ou-I hate to say that-sounds like I'm dyin').

Assuming your albums are on CD rather than vinyl, I'm not sure downloading
them from a web site is going to take less time than ripping them from a
CD to the hard disk.  Probably more because you have to browse, select,
and pay for them.

You can download the iTunes player for free and use it without an iPod
to rip directly to MP3's rather than wav files.  I do this all the time,
it was literally a life changing event to have my entire collection
instantly accessible.

If you have vinyl, it is possible to get them digitized but tedious
depending
on how cleanly you want the tracks trimmed.  Here you will almost certainly
save time buying them again, assuming you can find them.  Personally, I
would
buy them on CD and rip them rather than buying individual MP3's if you
intend
to buy the whole album.

Jeff