Re: minimized loop setup

Oh Rainer.. such lofty plans.  I keep trying to do
something like this... but it never really feels
"minimal" when I'm packing it all up and moving it
around.  Here's a few of my thoughts... of a minimal
setup.

Yes on the idea of the KAOSS pad.  Great because it
has line and mike inputs.  Acts as a MIDI
controller/effect for my Alesis Micron AND my electric
kazoo.  It also has a few cool sounds of it's own for
crazy times.

Then I like to bring along some sort of
sequencer/workstation type thing for sequenced beats
and as a live sound source.  E-MU Command Stations are
good as they have lots of ROM slots and two stereo
outputs.  Unfortunatly it's kind of big.  For
variation I'll bring a Korg ESX-1 Electribe
Sampler/Workstation.  It's smaller.

For guitar I use a Vox Tonelab SE.  Best amp mod out
there IMO, and you're going to want something on the
floor, eh?  It is big though.  Comes with a nice 8 sec
looper and lots of delay patches that sound like old
analog delays.  Assign one of the pedels to the time
parimeter and you're off for some wacky sounds.

I've been using a cheap Behringer Mixer, but it's far
to big.  Better get a small Mackie.

then a small rack with my Repeater and Lexicon MPX1 in
it.  My hope is to get a second Repeater so I can go
sans Rack.. or have a Repeater/Mixer rack.  Maybe
build something shallow for it.

--- Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill
<rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:

>       * Alesis Bitrman. Heard of so many people here who
> are using
> it...

I find the Bitrman to be a bit one dimensional.  I
took it out of my setup last time I played and never
missed it.

>       * Any of you know the Ibanez WD10? This seems to be
> another one
> of those digital modeling thingies. I had some time
> ago played with the
> Boss VWah (or whatever) and did not like it. Is the
> WD10 any better?

Really?  I thought the VWah ruled.  I got rid of it
because I thought the Wah stuff in the Tonelab was
pretty good as well and needed floor space.  I didn't
like the way it programmed though but I thought the
sound was great.

> Amp modeling:
>       * Behringer's X VAmp. Nice package for my
> application.
> Relatively cheap. Are there any alternatives? (Korg
> Pandora series?)

I found the Behringer to be not quite worth it.
Pandoras... better but more of a cool practice tool.
I was using the Bass version as a dedicated bass pre
and found I got better results using the Vox and just
going through the trouble of potting down and
switching instruments.

> Looping/Delay:
> I believe I need two devices here, one of which
> could be my DL4,
> although it takes up lots of real estate...devices I
> thought about:
>       * Boss DD20

I love the DD-20 mainly because I can get 2 loops of
different lengths running on it and it has feedback
control, something I think the DL4, Digitech JamMan
and RC-20s don't have.  It's a must for me as I love
to let my loops evolve.

Sounds to me like you'll need some sort of a mixer to
make it work if you're looking to blend synth sounds
and guitar sounds.  Could be mounted on a floor pedel
but I like mine on a tabletop.  I'm thinking of trying
to find a DJ coffin or something that I could make so
I could put the groovebox/repeater/KAOSS/mixer setup
in/on and throw it up on a keyboard stand and be done
with it.  I'm going to abandon bringing out the MICRON
too.  Nice to have a keyboard but too much and the
E-MU Commandstation's pads are velocity sensitive and
have after touch.  Ok, they feel kind of like crap and
are only one octive... but I felt the last time I
played the Alesis was just too much.  So that and
throw the VOX on the floor and I should have a pretty
flexible little stealth rig.

Mark

> So one possible signal chain might be:

(Guitar)->Machine->WD10->Jamman->XVamp=>MicroMod=>KP2=>(Volume

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs