Re: [LOOP] minimized loop setup

(various gear commentary below, sorry it took a couple of days)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> So I'm thinking about deviating from my "maximum flexiblity, maximum
> processing power" approach and create a looping setup which is (compared
> to most of my setups) rather minimalistic (meaning a guitar or bass and
> a small custom-built floor board) but, given the small size, quite
> flexible and powerful. So here is my requirement spec:
[snip]

>       * Something by ZVex...his things seem to be cool - what about
> the Machine? Or the Octane?

My opinion for max noise versatility in Z-Vex's line, get a Fuzz Factory.
I also like his new Johnny Octave.

> Wah:
>       * Any of you know the Ibanez WD10? This seems to be another one
> of those digital modeling thingies. I had some time ago played with the
> Boss VWah (or whatever) and did not like it. Is the WD10 any better?
>       * An alternative would be the Wah Probe by ZVex. Any users here?

Worked with one for a couple of hours, have a Z-Vex Trem Probe. A problem
with the theremin control for the Z-Vex Probe series is that, since the
control is a field effect (your foot a certain distance from the surface
plate) you cannot leave the pedal at a given value, then step off it and
have that value retained. I like the Probe series, but then I also play
theremin. :)

> combining one of each group...price-wise, the Jamman is cheaper than the
> RC-20 (while the DD20 is still cheaper). Pros/Cons of RC-20 (XL) vs.
> Jamman?

I have a Boss RC-20 LoopStation (non-XL), and a Digitech Jamman.

I like the Jamman over the RC-20 for more memory, for USB up/download of
samples onto the card without having to remove the card from the Jamman
(WinXP, Mac OS X support), for the behavior of the optional footswitch
(the Jamman manual calls for an FS-3X footswitch, my Digitech FS-300
footswitch I bought for use with my Electrix Repeater Mark I is identical)
that the footswitch allows you to go up *and* down the samples (the RC-20
only allows you to increment up through the samples), and for the
Digitech's ability to mark any of the 99 loops as one-shot nonrepeating
samples (RC-20 only has one one-shot sample, in #11 of 11).

I like the RC-20 over the Digitech for its ability to run on batteries,
and for reverse playback of loops.

best,
Steve B
Phasmatodea    http://www.phasmatodea.net/
Subscape Annex http://www.subscapeannex.com/
Fukadugalon, Audio Arcade, Orjazimprove, others