Re: Record while loop is playing?

On Sep 25, 2005, at 22:40, John Harding wrote:

> Hi Loopers Delight mailing list,
> I’m hoping someone out there can answer a looping-related question
> for me.  Can anyone tell me if there are any looping devices
> capable of doing this…
> While one loop is playing, I’d like to be able to record another
> part silently (like with a sort of mute button or something).
> Then, at the appropriate time, I’d like to be able to
> simultaneously and seamlessly stop the first loop, and drop the
> second one in to replace it.
> I’ve been doing some research on this matter, but haven’t had any
> luck finding answers yet.  Hopefully this isn’t a question that’s
> been answered a million times already, I know how irritating that
> can be.  If it is, I apologize!  But this is kind of a last resort
> for me.
> Thanks,
> JWH

I've done that with two looping devices by muting and un-muting their
mixer channel, but I don't know any looping device that can do it by
itself. This was discussed two weeks ago on the Mobius list and
Matthias Loibner said he uses that trick when looping live audi input
on a laptop running parallel instances of Moebius. This can of course
also be done in the Ableton Live software (recording to a muted
channel while a loop keeps playing on another channel).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)