Re: why do we loop?

An interesting question.........

I started looping for two reasons, 1st, because, as a solo performer I
wanted a bigger sound, 2nd, I could imagine some real interesting
possibilities with new directions that I could go with the music that I
was
writing. I've been looping for nearly 3 yrs now and am definitely hooked.
It's opened up creative possibilities that have me staying up half the
night playing music.

I spent 10 yrs playing for a living, everything from busking, to concerts,
to festivals, to malls. I got tired of the road, tired of having to play
what people want to hear, ( as a hammered dulcimer performer, if I had to
play Greensleeves one more time I'd have to kill someone!!!!!) So I went
out and dusted off my plumbers licence and went back to the day job. Only
now it, (the day job) didn't frustrate me because it gave me the freedom
play whatever I wanted and to turn down gigs that wouldn't give me the
freedom to play what I wanted. I still do some gigs and have rediscovered
the joy and excitement of sharing the music with an audience. Performing
for me, is part of the process of creating, somehow the whole process
doesn't feel complete without a listener. It doesn't matter if that's my
wife listening in from the next room, a handful of people at a garden
party
or a thousand in a field at a major festival..... we're sharing a creative
moment, it's a different sort of loop.

Paul Haslem

looping hammered dulcimer and guitar in Ontario, Canada