Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to theReceptor for Mobius

scott@dreamstate.to wrote:
> A potential problem though is that, unless the software creators
> keep updating the the programs, they may not run under future
> "standard" operating systems.

This is true.  I think though that the situation won't be as bad
as it has been through the evolution from DOS/Win3.1/Win95/NT/XP.
The operating systems we grew up on suffered from various design
problems that were difficult to fix and maintain backward compatibility.
Much of this was due to trying to cram an OS into 16MB of memory.
Today there are better abstraction layers making it easier to
write environment emulators for what will one day be "old" software.

Some radical advancement in technology or public taste could of
course change this. I wouldn't worry about 64 bit OS's though.

Jeff