Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

> No, the key is to never refresh unless absolutely necessary!

That sort of goes without saying, but you do have to refresh "eventually"
based on the evolving technology, whether that is a new OS, or a new
application that won't run on the old OS, etc. So, my point stands. You
have
to refresh.

> Updating the system software means that you'll have to update the audio
software, which means forking out more money and eventually running
into a terminal incompatibility.  One of the downsides of
computer-based music making is the amount of tinkering that needs to
be done to keep everything running.

This is not a problem for me, nor for most computer users I know. I work
well with computers, total migrations
from one PC to another, etc. I dont think your comments apply universally,
though...back to Jeff's bet to you.
My VST effects ran on Win 2000 and they still run on XP. And I expect they
will run on the next OS, because
the VST companies will come out with updates to my existing applications,
which I will buy faithly because I
love them. Updating the computer, OS, apps, etc, it's all intertwined,
which
is no big deal to me.  Updating is
just a part of the responsibility of owning and using a computer.

> Why would you two not consider a laptop roadworthy? Roadworthy in what
> respect?  My laptop is my only computer for work. I use it at home, drag
it
> around the house with wi-fi, take it on the road for business trips,
etc....,

> Yeah, but I control all my high-end floor gear with my feet, while
wearing shoes, while it's sitting on grotty cafe and club floors, and
it all still works.  I don't see a lot of laptops on the floor at
shows being stepped on.

I hear there are these things they make these days, call MIDI controllers
and MIDI
interfaces, and I hear you can hook them up to a laptop. :)  I don't see
your
EDP on the floor, why would you expect the same of a laptop?

> To me, roadworthy stuff has thick metal cases, and sturdy jacks, and
the option for mounting it inside an armored carrying unit (i.e. a
rack).  Think about it--which would you rather have knocked off a
table onto a concrete floor--a laptop running some VST emulator, or a
rack unit in a rack?

The answer to that is obvious, but it still doesn't address the point that
even
you use gear not in a roadworthy rack (on the floor), and you can just as
easily drop your heavy rack on one of those, or someone can dump a pint
of beer on them, etc, etc. There are risks with whatever you choose. I'm
just
trying to avoid the generalizations here and not bash laptops when there
here
plenty of people using them with success...maybe not you, but many who have
not problems with them. You treat them with care and precaution. And there
are ways to secure a laptop so that it won't drop on the floor. There are
ways
to add more level of security around anything, if you want to take those
steps.

> Hands up for everyone whose had to foot the bill
for a laptop display that took a tumble at a gig?  Ouch.

Hands up  for everyone whose had to foot the bill for
"anything" that is damaged on the road. How about Phil
and his EDP at Y2K5?  Being roadworthy does not safeguard
for all types of damage.

> Maybe consumer laptops are relatively "disposable) but not high end
> commercial models,......
>But, as you said, musicians aren't buying those.

True. But they should. Pro musicians don't go for the cheap bargin deals
when they buy
their gear...why should they vary when it comes to laptops? It's mostly an
awareness
thing I think, not anyone's fault.  Basically, you can't buy a commerical
box at a
retailer...no salesman. You have to buy them directly from the
manufacturer,
and at
a lot higher price. Dell is the exception here, as they have managed to
move
their
consumer sales model to a direct model...good for them, I guess.  I see
someone
drop $4-6K on an eventide, and I see buying a decent commerical laptop in
the
same category.

> One of the major
appeals of computer-based solutions is that you can either use the
computer you already have, or buy another one cheaply.  $4K+ boxes
aren't on the shopping list for most musicians.

Neither are Eventides and EDPs that run $1000 a piece, but now we separate
the
boys from the men, or the kids whose parents are buying them gear for
christmas
vs, folks like Fripp who don't cut any corners on quality.

Again, my main reason for responding to this (not wanting to get into the
PC
debate), but
merely to help us avoid making generalizations about laptops, etc.

Kris