Re: quest for an audio interface for laptop music applications

Dear Rainer,

If you could only go firewire.  I've had tremendous success with the
pre-sonus Firebox.

Bus powered, midi, spdif, 4 in, 6 out, leaving room for a send/return

This is a fine fine box, even to the point of feeling really great in the
hand.  Inexpensive as well  @ $299

Of course, if you can't do firewire, then I guess this doesn't work.  It's
the best laptop box I've found, and I perform with it endlessly with no
regrets.  It performs all my routing, even to the point of doing a surround
show with live and logic.

All best,

todd

On 10/22/05 11:57 AM, "Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill"
<rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:

> I've decided to go laptop. At least to compile one setup that is
> entirely laptop. Now I need an USB audio interface - my Phase26 wouldn't
> do here. I'm looking for a laptop-based system with maximum portability.
>
> My requriements:
>
> Hard requirements:
> (1) at least one phantom-powered mic in and one Hi-Z in or two
> phantom-powered mic ins
> (2) two analogue 1/4 or XLR outs
> (3) headphone out
> (4) USB
>
> Would-be-nice:
> (5) a pair of SPDI/F connectors
> (6) a MIDI pair
> (7) possibility to create an effect send/return
> (8) no wallwart necessary
> (9) bus-powered
> (A) symmetrical outs
> (B) USB2
> (C) ADAT connectors
> (D) 24/96
>
> I've come up with a few devices:
>
> M-Audio Fast Track Pro
> Edirol UA-25
> Mackie Spike
> Lexicon Omega
> Alesis IO/2
> Tascam US-122
> Behringer BCA2000
> The requirements tracking matrix looks like this:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5
> 6 7 8 9 A B C D Price
> M-Audio Fast Track Pro  X X X X X
> X  X X X  X X 229
> Edirol UA-25   X X X X X
> X  X X X  X X 225
> Mackie Spike   X X X X X
> X      X X 229
> Lexicon Omega   X X X X X
> X    X    278
> Alesis IO/2   X X X X X
> X  X X X  X X 159
> Tascam US-122   X X X X
> X  X X     208
> Behringer BCA2000  X X X X X
> X X X   X X X 195
>

> Ok, so what is the conclusion? The price is a standard in the 200-230€
> range - the only exceptions being the Alesis and the Lexicon. The
> Behringer does win the flexibility price, with its lots of outputs, its
> 1in-2out-MIDI interface and its ADAT connector. Plus it's the only
> device with USB2, hence it can transmit in 24/96 both ways (if that's
> what you need). And it's the only device where you could create an
> external effects send/return (e.g. to put your favourite
> outboard/stompbox stuff into the setup). And it's cheaper than all
> competitors safe for the Alesis. The Alesis on the other hand is the
> cheapest, and that without standing behind the Edirol/M-Audio/Tascam
> competitors that much. Finally, the Lexicon looks the most
> "professional", with the most powerful included mixer and micpres that
> at least have a fairly "pro" (sic!) name. But you can't power it via the
> bus AND it uses a wallwart...
>
> So, I'm as wise as before. Any suggestions? Any experiences with the
> three devices I mentioned in the last paragraph? Any words on the other
> devices (Edirol, Tascam, Mackie, M-Audio) that should make me
> [...]

-----
“Virtue is just repression waiting to go bad” - Trevor Exter

“Classical music is related to the past more than it is related to the
creative part of sound” - Ornette Coleman
------
Todd Reynolds
42-09 47th Ave 1C
Sunnyside, NY  11104