Re: can u run multiple sooper loopers?

On Oct 25, 2005, at 15:45, geoff smith wrote:

> Thanks guys just one more question.
> All I will ever want is to have 3 sooper loopers
> That record to the same loop length.
> i.e. I hit record on one sooper looper
> then when I record on sooper looper 2 and 3
> they always default to the same loop length,
>
> I don't want any other parameters quantised at all just the loop
> length of each sooper looper to be the same,
> but I would like to do this by setting this with the first sooper
> looper in realtime i.e. start playing hit record  hit record again
> and hey presto all my looping in any super looper will now have
> that loop length.
> not sure if thats clear.
> I have read the sync documentation but am still confused as to how
> to do this.
> When I had two edps it used to drive me nuts trying to get the
> echoplexs to do this I am hoping sooper looper will be more reliable.

In your last post you were talking about multiple instances of SL,
but now when reading details on what you want to do I'm asking if it
wouldn't be better to use one instance of SL but with three loops?
Then they will all sync according to your settings at the top row
loop (SL GUI). Also, you can fetch each loop to a dedicated output
channel in the host application.

Regarding Plogue Bidule, is it really ready for prime time on Mac? I
had a blast with Bidule in Windows XP but somehow I got the
impression that the Mac OS X version is not as developed yet. I'm not
completely sure about this though, since I have not had an XP machine
for two years (will get access to one next week, hopefully).

Thinking a bit more about your detailed description above, it just
hit me that you can actually do that with the SL standalone version.
That is, if you don't want to run a bunch of tempo synced effect plug-
ins as well? Your wish to run SL as an AU plug-in in a host
application and start out a session with the "first-loop setting
global loop length" trick puts you in a kind of Catch-22 situation.
Obviously SL has to be the sync master, but it can not send a sync
pulse to the host. So you have to do it the other way by letting the
host be the master. Now, for the "first-loop" fluent way of starting
out a looping performance you will need to assign a button to the
host's tap tempo function and tap the same tempo that you will start
looping in. I have tried that but bound it difficult. The easiest
solution IMHO would be to not use a hust, i.e. run SL as standalone.
When I tried that I found that the timing is never recorded exactly
as I play it for the first loop round. All following overdubs are
fine though, but the first loop is always sucking. Probably because
of the latency involved in triggering with the midi pedal (wink to
Kim ;-). When you play to an already existing loop you play to what
you hear, no matter the latency involved, but the very first loop is
critical. I have not found a way to do that in software, only with my
EDP. With software I do all kind of workarounds, like recording
something non-rhythmical as the first loop and use some beat synced
plug-in filter to hear the beat and start playing. Or I can use my FX
processor/pre-amp (FireworX) as the MIDI clock master, which means
any beat synced patch I play through will give a tempo guidance good
enough.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)