EDP Settings for Using Subsitute and Quantize by 8th Notes

I'm having some difficulty getting this trick to work. Rick got me started on this a while back, but I am just now getting around to doing it with my EDPs and Behringer controller.  I set my quantize to 8th notes, but I need to know what Switches and Timing parameter settings to use to get the following to work right: Press Record, play a few measures of 8th note melody work, press record again to play back, start playing some longer duration notes and hit the Substitute button a bunch of times in a row while you're playing...the result is an interesting rhythmic effect with those little 8th note slices of material popping in and out, all quantized to 8th notes. The problem is that the way I have my Switches and Timing parameters set now, when I try this, the subtituted notes pop in but then after the first cycle of looping, everything stops...no sound. I'm guessing that I need to change one of the first four settings (along the EDP conrol panel or buttons) under Switches and Timing, such as Record Mode, Overdub Mode, Round Mode, Loop/Delay, etc. Any recommendations on what these should be set at?

Rick, I guess I should be asking you...if you could just look at your switches and timing paramater settings and rattle those for me in response to this.

Cheers,