Re: Re: Real-time category

>I think I understand the theory, but we're sort of splitting hairs
>over terminology.  Whether we react consciously or unconsciously
>(whatever that means) isn't really related to the discussion on RTOS
>and how we perceive latency and jitter.  An error in timing may be
>consciously perceived much later than it actually happened, but it
>doesn't really matter, the important thing is that we perceived it at
>all.  The problem we have to solve in building audio applications
>is to make it so these errors are not (eventually) perceived.
>
>Jeff

Part of the process of solving that problem may well be to understand
how the mind compensates for latency, and to make it easier for the mind
to compensate for the looper.

For a foot controller, for instance, it's possible to use that controller
to play sounds at a particular latency, and the mind learns the delay
of the pedal.
It's obviously harder  to compensate when you don't hear the results till
a loop later (but seems to be possible).

andy butler