laptop based loopers/effects for live

I believe that this was discussed before, if so, forgive me, but those who
loop live and use laptops, have you ever had any glitches live and how do
you prepare yourself for such an occurrence?

In spite of using computers in all aspects of my life (and maybe because of
it!!) I just don't trust being on stage with a laptop and trusting my
performance into Bill Gates' hands.

It just seems that there are more and more cool computer based programs
that
have tremendous potential live.
Thanks,

~peace~