Re: laptop for live music

On 29 dec 2005, at 21.37, Gary Lehmann wrote:

> So is IBM ThinkPad the best way to go?
> Any other contenders? I speak of course of the Windoze platform.

I've heard good things about ThinkPads. But isn't it better to take a
look at what's inside to see if it's fit for audio use? Centrino
(with the Pentium-M CPU) is good and shared graphic memory is bad, as
far as I know. 7200 drive is good, but maybe a bit noisy if you are
going to play at intimate volume or use the lappy for writing. It's
also to a great deal up to which audio interface you are using. The
more RAM the better, but it's hard to find a lappy with room for more
than 2 GB. My Apple Powerbook did a lot better when I upgraded from 1
to 2 GB but my Win lappy is looping fine with only 1 GB. Maybe
because XP doesn't need as much RAM as OS X?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)