Re: The Dark Age

Dear Mech,
You wrote:
" In the 80's, myself and everybody my age knew it for a fact that we
 were never going to see old age.  Instead, we all expected that at
 any given moment, without warning, there could be a brief flash and a
 fireball that would quickly but painfully vaporize us."

I appreciate your thoughts and feelings about this but
a little historical perspective is important:

Children (or teenagers) of the 80's aren't the only ones who experienced
dark and fearful times.  We had some doozies in the 60's, too.

To whit:

I spent several days in elementary school practising diving under our
desks
over and over;
watching the skies and listening with utter fear to every plane that flew
overhead during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
That was 1962 when the world came closer than it ever had to be blown
away.
We lived in San Jose
and military intelligence knew that that the Russians had Intercontinental
Ballistic missiles aimed directly
where we lived.     I've never been so scared in my life.    I was 9.

I remember being stunned to learn that John F. Kennedy had been
assasinated
right as he
had starting to talk about pulling out of Vietnam and putting the reins on
the Military Industrial Complex
(ironically, probably not even the reason he was assasinated) and having
President Johnson
pull us into a full scale war not 9 months later.  I was 10.

I remember how scary it was for 6 days when Watts was burned down in the
Race Riots in 1965. I was 12.

I remember very well, being clubbed and maced by tactical squads during
Anti-War riots and watching
whole groups of my friends having the living shit beat out of them by San
Jose Police units and then seeing nothing
about it in the papers even though there were press and photographers
present.  I was 15-17

I remember watching FBI agents taking down our license plate
numbers.............it was really dissillusioning
and there was a very, very dark feel of 'Big Brother'  in the air in 1968
when two of the people who were really trying to change things
were gunned down (Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr.)  I was 15.

I remember being terrified that I was going to have to go and possibly die
in Vietnam in a War that I, personally, thought was
immoral.   I was 17 when I got assigned number 125 in the draft and they
said they were gonna take
everyone up to number 150..................I made my mother promise me
that
, in exchange for registering (which I did not want to do),that
she would drive me to Canada in the trunk of our car so that I wouldn't
have
to go.    Thinking that there was a huge chance that
I might never see my family again (unless they visited me in Canda) was
very
frightening.  I'd never even left home by then.
That was some dark shit, let me tell you.   I was 17-18.

**************

It is true we did not live with the threat of AIDS but  the 'glow' and
optimism of the hippy era that Kim and others have talked about  lasted a
depressingly short couple of years before the shit hit the fan.

10 Hippy volunteers came down to do a benefit for the Haight Ashbury
Medical
Clinic that I was a volunter security for.
3 years later, every single one of them had died of meth overdoses or
other
drug related causes.   There was a very dark
side to the liberal use of drugs at that time.

So,  I really do not mean to minimize the fears that people legitimately
had
during the 80's but this
Sweet, naive painting of the 50's and 60's is just not accurate.

I truly don't think that the 60's was better than the 80's.  I actually
think that they were both the most fertile decades in terms of
musical innovation and really large changes in musical style that effected
the whole culture.

I just think that we react to dark things differently at different ages.
There was a lot of darkness in the 80's to be sure but
I was in my late 20's and early 30's during that decade and I was in my
teen
years in the 60's.   I felt fear a lot more
in the 60's than the 80's.

Shit,  the potential Bird Flu pandemic is really frightening to me, but
I'm
in my 50's and I realize that even if worse comes to worse that most
people
will survive such a thing.      God, to be 12 years old right now?
Ouch!!!!!!

yours, respectfully,  Rick
(a Baby Boomer who really likes all the Dark music that began in the
80's,by
the way.................lol,  I only saw one other person my age at the
recent Nine Inch Nails concert in Santa Cruz)

ps  And, by the way,   we never considered the  'Long Hairs' who spat on
the
returning Vietnam Vets to be 'Hippies'.

A true Hippy would not have done that.   The original Hippy movement
lasted
a very short time before mainstream culture began
to accept long hair as anything but being 'Freaky'.    Early on we called
each other 'Freaks' not Hippies, anyway.

I did a lot of work with the Vietnam Vets and we did many benefit concerts
for them and always was cognizant of how racist
and classist the system was that had mostly poor, undeducated black,
browns
and whites populating the ranks of the 'grunts'
who were forced to fight that war.