Re: digitech pmc-10

At 08:25 AM 12/31/2005, Travis Hartnett wrote:
>Wasn't there some sort of memory-dropping issue with the PMC-10, or
>was that just related to old-gear-with-a-battery-that-needs-replacing?

I've had the impression it was the battery dying. If you get one of these
pedals, you should probably get the battery replaced. The PMC-10 has been
out of production a long time now, so the battery is likely dead or close
to it in any unit you find. The PMC-10 yahoo group has discussion of
where/how to replace the battery:

Having Sean Echevarria's PMC-10 editor "Raymond" makes it very easy to
create/restore backups, and makes me feel a lot more secure about using
this pedal. I've found this very valuable. Raymond also makes patch
editing
a breeze. Here is a link to Sean's site:
http://creepingfog.com/sean/pmc/

The hand programmer that came with the PMC-10 was not too hard to use, but
mine used to break or get dirty switch contacts all the time. Now I never
use the hand programmer and instead use Raymond. But if you did need to
access the pedal that way and your hand programmer is busted, Bernhard has
this useful site showing how to do it from the parallel port of a PC:
http://nosuch.biz/pmc10/parallel

The PMC-10 had things pretty close to perfect for a MIDI pedal. They
really
thought it out well. The hardware could have been a little more reliable,
but it's not that bad if you take some care of it. It really shined in the
full functionality and interface. Incredibly flexible, and not hard to use
at all. It didn't have any of these arbitrary limitations that people
complain about all the time on much newer pedals. I wish somebody would
make a new pedal that simply copies it.

kim