Re: foot controllers

In many cases, you do avoid it, as long as you're using a plain
vanilla MIDI controller (that just sends a program change message for
each button press) and not one that comes preloaded with a bunch of
undocumented messages for many button presses.  A lot of the time, you
want one event to happen (record, mute, etc.) based on a button press,
and a bare-bones MIDI learn function gives you that.  If the MIDI
learn feature is more sophisticated, it can cause multiple events to
occur upon receiving a simple MIDI message.  Given the state of MIDI
foot controllers, it makes more sense to have the device being
controlled to the work.