Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

> Travis Hartnett wrote:
>> If anyone out
>> there is doing all their signal processing and looping on a laptop,
>> I'd love to hear the specs of what they're using.

An example of CPU efficiency:

I have been running almost identical Ableton Live looping set-ups on
a powerbook and a centrino PC laptop. The CPU meter of Live does show
70-90% on the powerbook and 30-40% on the pc. Below are specifications.

Powerbook 15". 1,25 MHz, 2G ram.
Zepto "Centrino" laptop. Intel P M 755 2.0 GHz Dothan. 1 GB ram.

On the pc the looping was done on four tracks, in four parallel loops
of Möbius VST plug-in (distributing through four Ableton channels).
On the Mac looping were done on two tracks, in two parallel loops of
Augustus Loop. Except that both environments had the same post
treatment plug-ins applied as send/return loops: 2 Pluggo effects, 1
OhmBoyz delay, Abletons' Reverb. Two or three effect plug-ins were
also applied directly on the tracks hosting loops.

To save CPU, no software compressor was used, but both laptop outputs
were run through a hardware master stereo compressor before going
into the PA.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)