LWL (looping with laptops) - MIDI-programmable drum sequencer

I just hacked around a little bit on my computer, using an extremely simplified version of what I want to become my laptop sound setup: no foot controller and no faderbox was implemented, and audio ran over a rather...consumer piece of equipment (but all that will change in the future).

How cool! I always wanted to be able to connect the synth I have in the basement mid-song to the setup and start jamming on it!

Now I would be looking for something like a MIDI-controllable drum pattern sequencer as a VST (or Live! plugin). To be more specific: I would want to create and edit drum patterns on-the-fly without having to resort to clicking around on-screen. Now I could use my faderbox (Behringer BCR2000) to generate the necessary MIDI commands - now all I need is a piece of software (preferably a plugin) that basically functions as a drum pattern sequencer which would sync to VST host tempo, and the contents should be editable by the MIDI commands. Im thinking like using two rotary encoders to select the place in the grid (one for the instrument, one for the position in time), and pusbuttons to place or delete notes.

Does anyone know of something like this?

        Rainer