Re: AW: LWL (looping with laptops) - MIDI-programmable drum sequencer

On 7 jan 2006, at 20.25, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> Ok, I'll try to be more specific:
>
> Imagine a drum pattern sequencer grid with a certain number of rows
> (each
> one corresponding to a different instrument, or more technically,
> each one
> sending a different MIDI note) and columns (each one corresponding
> to a
> specific point in time, e.g. to a 16th within a a two-bar-pattern
> (giving 32
> columns).
>
> Now, instead of say using the MIDI editor of Live! and adding and
> deleting
> notes by clicking, I'd like a pattern sequencer which allows me to
> do this
> completely MIDI-controlled.
>
> Think of an "editing cursor": by sending e.g. MIDI CC#30, I can
> move it
> along the horizontal axis, by sending MIDI CC#31, I can move it
> along the
> vertical axis. By sending MIDI CC#32 (or a MIDI note, or whatever)
> I can
> either add or delete a note.
>
>       Rainer

Well, I don't know of any sequencer that will let you MIDI control
such detailed levels externally. The closest would be Numerology, I
think. A new version, 2.0, is due any week now and this will have a
completely rewritten engine. Numerology is OS X only (don't know
which systems you prefer). It's drawing on classic modular step
sequencing from the days before MIDI and in many ways when this
paradigm is combined with todays MIDI control it will let you do
things that are not implemented in Live (because Live is targeting a
broader user base). In Num you set up as many drum sequences you
want. 16 or 32 steps initially, but you may also assign a mod wheel
to the last step and change the length of the sequence while it's
playing. What happens then is that the last notes will not play and
the sequence receives a new rhythmic feel. But there are global
parameters for "Accent"  (falling differently on certain beats within
a bar) and "Groove Clock" which shifts every not played back with a
small amount to create a swing feel. These global accent and groove
clock parameters can be assigned to MIDI faders as well and "played"
when huge MIDI sequenced arrangements are performed. Totally cool IMHO.

Oh... back to the question if you can "create" and "delete" notes
within a pattern. Yes you can, in a way. Imagine a pattern sequence
of 16 steps. In Num each step represents an optional note to be
played and is graphically presented as a fader with a handle. When
the handle is in at the bottom no note will play on that step in the
sequence. If the handle is at top of the fader a note will play with
full velocity and if the handle is in the middle a note will play
with mid velocity. Right now, while I'm typing, I'm doing the test to
MIDI learn the eight faders of my microKONTROL keyboard to the first
eight fades of such a "Control Sequencer" and its working just fine.
So with this method I can do what you ask for in Numerology. A MIDI
controller with buttons sending "on/off" type data (CC 1/128) could
be used as on/off buttons for each note in a sequence. Then you could
"tap dance" your fingers to create and change the sequence. Another
step sequencer can be set up to control the pitch of the notes.
Ouch... I can't rewrite the complete manual here.... ;-)  For more
info check out http://www.five12.com/. BTW, some ppl on this list do
stuff with Numerolgoy.

You can also assign buttons for muting sequencer modules, the
possibilities are quite endless. Numerology is for users that have an
idea of what to do with it - it's not something to "plug in to".
Numerology is also a host application that can host synths and
samplers, but there are no built-in sound possibilities. The upcoming
version is said to support ReWire, so it can be synced very tight
into other DAW applications, to be used as a kind of "modular MIDI
sequencing performance instrument".

Speaking about ableton live: you can set up many tracks and sequences
with only on note in each, as a workaround to MIDI control those
notes aŽla "on/off".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)