Re: CD SALES DECLINING?

----- Original Message -----
> I think it depends on what you define as your "pool of potential
buyers are who aren't doing so".  Personally, the only way someone's
going to know that I have a CD to buy is if they see me playing
somewhere, and all my performance venues cater to people with
disposable income--coffee shops, restaurants, art galleries, wine
bars.  They've already come in to the place to spend money on
something they don't need, they're just maybe choosing to spend it on
something other than my music.

True enough. Even so, I CAN buy more CDs, but I choose not to,
because of other competing "wants" in the luxory category (if we're just
talking
about a few CDs a month), or competing needs like stuff for the kids (if
we're
talking about buying hundreds of dollars of month CDs). Unlike you,
however, most of the people who express interest in my music find
me via my website (because I have it on literally hundreds of artist
feature
websites out there), and I only play 1-2 times a month.

Although I wouldn't agree that all coffeshops cater to people with
disposable income. I meet a lot of starving artists and students at
coffeeshops who are NOT buying $4 lattes and mochas, but the $1.50
plain cup of joe. They can't afford CDs, but love to sit and listen to
the music, read the free paper neareby, etc.  Maybe you have a lot
of yuppies in Seattle who hang out in coffeeshops and are blowing
lots of cash on CDs, $300 express makers, etc...not here.   Have you
seen your mean income in Seatte lately?  I've frequented Seattle coffeshops
many times. I see a lot of people who dress and drive wealthy. You won't
see that here in Boise very often, at least in a coffeeshop. Hence, I think
your point on coffeeshops is relative. I think you point is more valid in
regard to nice restaurants, wine bars, and galleries, however.

>  These are descretionary spending choices which I won't argue with
>except
point out that they are choices one has made and not immutable
conditions of survival.

Absolutely, especially if we're talking just a few CDs a month....more
than
that,
than things change.

Kris