RE: WAYS TO SELL OUR SELVES: LIVE

My friend Lucio (my musical foil in Lumper/Splitter) read an article once
about CD sales at live gigs wherein the author suggested the
following:

When you are done playing you have, as a generalization, about 5 to 10
minutes to capitalize on any interest you have created during your
set to sell CDs.  Set down your instrument, grab a stack of CDs, and walk
into the crowd.  Do not walk up to your friends and receive
obligatory pats on the back about how good your set was.  Walk up to a
stranger and ask if they would be interested in purchasing a CD,
holding one out towards them as you do so.  Repeat as necessary.

Now to sensibilities, this sounds a bit crass.  I feel a bit cheesey doing
it this way. But when you are on tour, and need to buy gas, food, and
lodging, and you to sell some CDs, damnit, you might try this.  He tried
this when touring with his old band Ramona The Pest and reports
that CD sales went WAY up.  He would walk towards people and they would
often reach for their wallet before he even said anything.
Remember, *playing* music is NOT the same thing as *selling* music.  If
you want to live in a idealized world where CDs magically sell like
hotcakes because your set was so smokin', that's OK.  But if you want to
actually "move some units" there are other ways to sell your CD.

It can also be rude if there is a band coming on after you that is waiting
to set up and you leave your stuff where it is and start selling stuff.
Maybe you can inform them ahead of time that you are spending 5 -10 min
selling directly after your set.  Maybe you can have a friend
break your gear down for you while you sell?

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.  It's hard for me to use
this approach (I use it sparingly) because I often feel guilty, like I'm
putting people on the spot.  But I've also had people buy CDs this way,
and then email me later telling me how glad they are to have the
CD!

Cheers

Joe