Re: WAYS TO SELL OUR SELVES: LIVE

Another good idea is to have someone, preferably cute and friendly :-),
to sell your CD's for you while you play. Set up a table near the stage
if possible, and have the person sit there through your gig to sell
discs and gather signatures for your mailling list, then circulate
through the crowd while you are on break or tearing down. We printed up
vinyl stickers with our logo and give them away to everybody who signs
the list. When my band tours, we try to have someone travel with us to
sell merch, we've noticed when we don't have someone in the crowd and
it's up to us to sell, we sell a lot less.  My band has sold a couple
thousand copies of both of our discs in the last 2 years, and the vast
majority of them have been at shows. The next best sales have been via
CDBaby, then we have a couple of cool local stores that carry our
stuff, but in general, retail has not been good to us. Selling the disc
when the customer has just heard your gig (and is possibly drunk enough
to think you sounded great) has been what works the best for us. It's
really variable too, we've played for crowds of thousands and sold no
discs, and we played for an audience of 12 once where we sold 12 CD's.
Perhaps the pity factor came into play.

We have no conventional distribution, only CD Baby right now. We put
our first disc online at a number of distributors, including EarBuzz,
and CDBaby is the only one that generated any sales at all. So our 2nd
disc is just being carried at CDBaby, for now. We do our digital
distribution via CDBaby as well, which has really just been a trickle,
I think we made $3 last month.

In my opinion, until you're getting some national press, or have some
kind of wide-based niche market recognition, conventional distribution
and retail sales just won't happen. Our answer has been to gig as much
as possible, tour as much as possible and build a fanbase that way,
it's been a ton of work, but it feels like it is paying off, slowly,
though.