Re: where's the money?

Eno was in a "hot" band (Roxy Music) before striking out on his own in
a time when musicians could put out a series of small-selling records
and not get dropped.  His production skills, work ethic,
self-promotion skills and canny sense of the direction of popular
music put him as the right guy in the right place at the right time
repeatedly--Bowie in Berlin, the late 70's New York punk scene,
ambient music, U2, and so on.  He doesn't regard himself as primarily
a "musician", and moves between music, visual art, design theory,
philosophy, charity work and just about everything else.

For those who do define themselves primarily as a "musician", the
question may not be "How can I make money in music and art related
fields?" but perhaps "How can I get people to give me money for music
I've recorded and performances?"  Personally, I have almost zero
interest in getting involved in music production, interactive screen
savers, ambient art installations, speaking engagements or any of the
other fascinating Eno projects, but I am very interested in getting
paid to play music in public and sell CDs directly related to that
music, and that's been the center of this recent thread.

Brian Eno and John Cage are more the exception than the rule for "How
do I make a living in music?"

TravisH