Re: crappy music of the masses

> << So if you hate rap, gangsta rap, death metal, etc, >>
>
> I was thinking of the people creating the 'anger-oriented' music rather
> than the person who is angry at the rappers, heavy metal goobers,
> whatever.

Understood.  I hope you didn't think I was singling you out with my
generalized "you."

This is another interesting, albeit philosophical topic. Over the years,
occasionally being tempted by the human tendency to be ethnocentric and
egocentric, I've made my share of caustic remarks regarding other forms of
music. People make negative comments about "some" looping music too,
saying
it's overly repetetive, too long, boring, etc.  In any event, without
fail,
after I make such remarks about other forms of music that I don't
particularly enjoy, I always end up feeling as if I've betrayed myself as
an
artist and failed to heed one of the fundamental principles that makes art
what it is, viz., utterly free and unrestrained emotional expression. That
form of expression is sacred. It is un-touchable, and "good unto itself"
according to some folks.  When I said all is permitted earlier, I meant
it,
and I believe it. As artists, as soon as we start censoring or
marginalizing
forms of art that don't please us, or which we find revolting, then we've
betrayed the very same principles that permit us the freedom to do what we
want and not be judged or criticized for it. So I find the best thing to
do,
for me personally, is to just keep my mouth shut in light of artforms that
don't like. It's not wrong to be revolted by a particular form of art.
That
is a natural human reaction. What is questionable and just as revolting is
when that revolting feeling converts to quasi-objective claims about the
intrinsic nature of the offending art. It's one thing to say that such an
such art makes you feel bad. It's quite another thing to say that the art
IS
bad.

That was more than 2 cents, I guess... :)

Kris