WAYS TO SELL OURSELVES: ONLINE

Kris wrote:
"How about how to get on radio stations. I think I spent a whole weekend
a year ago sending out press packs to about 20 radio stations. It
probably worked on two of them...not much return on investment, and I'm
reluctant to try it again."

I hear your reluctance but also have a couple of things to say about
being more effective in your connection with the DJs.

I've been the publicist, promoter, what have you for every music project
I've been in (except for a few commercial projects)
and what I've come to believe is this:

The music business and all of it's branches are just fairly small tribes
of people.  We tend to view them as rather monolithic when, in fact,
they are just composed of individual human beings who all have their own
respective agendas about things. Like any small community,  their are
personalities in it who are idiosyncratic and you have to cater to those
individual personalities.

Sending material out is important but think about the myriad of
unsolicited pieces of mail you get daily by people trying to sell you
something.    Unless someone has mentioned something to you in advance,
you will have a tendency to chuck stuff,  especially if you are
inundated the way most print journalists and on air disc jockeys are.

Consequently, it is important to make a human connection with someone
who you want to play and promote your CD.
I find that calling someone first and asking them if you can send them
(or better yet,  bring them) your recording is so much more effective
than just sending out packets.

I have also found that if you can attach that connection with an event
that you are associated with can really increase the interest of the
journalist or DJ.       I try to associate my record releases with
Events (CD release parties) or Festivals to maximize the interest of the
DJ or Journalist.     They are much more inclined to grant you an
interview which inevitably leaves to the playing of several tunes on the
CD or, better yet,   a live on the air performance.

Additionally, I have discovered that DJs love to help out, especially if
they believe that they are on the cusp of a happening event or
movement.     I've found it very effective to specifically let DJs know
that you (and your movement or style of music) can really
use their help.     I've had incredible success with the DJs at KUSP,
KKUP, KAZU and, especially,  KZSC the local college radio station.

Time of the year is important, too.    This year the new DJs at UCSC
were in the first week of their programs when we had Y2K5.  They were
discombobulated,   not set in their routines and consequently,  I didn't
get an ounce of publicity for the
show on that the station...........the first time in several years.
It makes me want to communicate with the RPM director
at the station to seek his or her advice about when to best have such an
event in the future.

In the case of this particular station, there are luckily several shows
a week who might play our stuff (the Live Looping community)
and that's a lot of energy because you might have to talk to four or
five DJs before you find that one gem of a person who wants to help
out.     It's all worth it, however.   In the last two years two DJs at
that station have aided and helped my career and the
Looping events immeasurably..................now, of course, they have
graduated and I have to do it all over again..........lol.