Re: latency questions

On Jan 12, 2006, at 5:12 PM, mech wrote:

I'm using Ableton Live 5.x with an Edirol FA-101 firewire interface, and running at about 4-5ms latency.

I use it primarily for live (no pun intended) processing, and the FA-101 functions as both my mixer and audio matrix.  The extra ins and outs are patched into external processors, and all routing and levels are controlled within Live.  Before the CPU spikes, I can usually get up to 4 or 5 plug-ins running on each channel (2 inputs + effect send/returns) dependant upon just which plugs I'm using.

This is on a 12" Powerbook 1.33Ghz with 2gigs RAM.

fascinating. how did you check the latency? i must say that it's hard for me to believe that you're getting that low latency with firewire. do you use the FA-101 with a direct out kind of thing for your main signal? i guess i'm asking: does ALL of your signal go to the computer before you hear it, or is some of it routed back to whatever you're using to amplify/record your music?

monk