MIDI-programmable drum sequencer

In my current prototyping setup, Ableton Live is the master, so no
possibility to sync the drums to a loop. The only thing that's possible
apart from playing to a metronome (or to a drum pattern set up before I
start playing), although it won't be possible to do, say, mainstream R'n'B
tunes like this, is to have a loop running (say in an unsynced instance of
Mobius) and then start Live without caring about clock relationships ;-)