Re: New Music & A Sneak Peek @ Freewheeling 0.5.1

At 9:25 AM +0100 1/20/06, Per Boysen wrote:
>On 20 jan 2006, at 06.33, mark sottilaro wrote:
>Yeah, I'd sure be up for an OSX v.
>
>I know Intel equipped machines, usually managed with Windows, are
>fine for Linux,

Well, it's been a few years since I've done a Linux install on an
Intel laptop, but I can say that that is its own special little
circle of hell.  Or, it used to be anyway.  For desktops, installs
have been pretty seamless since about 2001.

>but can't Apple machines too run Linux?  Maybe even better with the
>upcoming Apple line that use Intel CPU and board?

Yeah, there's a version of Linux for PowerPc.  However, since the
Mach kernel is underlying OSX to begin with, it's usually not too
hard to port.  Much easier than doing a version to Windows, for
instance.  In this case, though, it looks like Freewheeling has a lot
of dependencies on other libraries (ALSA, Jack, etc.) which may or
may not have been previously ported, and that alone may complicate
matters.

Of course, the above is spoken from the viewpoint of a network and
server admin, so YMMV.  Some coder may swoop in in a minute and tell
me I'm full of beans.  ;)

        --m.

--
_______
" I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of