Re: Half Space Guitar Power Amps?

They are nice, Kris....
At Y2K5 I was running my basses into a D-TAR Mama Bear digital acoustic
guitar preamp which I had mounted on a mic stand for easy access.  The
Mama
Bear is designed for acoustic gtrs with various type of "acoustic" pickups
(piezos of either ribbon type or coaxial or cermamic, elec bridge type
piezos or sound-hole magnetics).  What it does is compnesates for the
phase
stability of these PUs, thus removing the "pickup" sound from the signal
(rendereing a more acoustic tone), and then allows you to choose from 16
"target source" models (from parlor gtrs, various dreads and OM size
Martin,
Traugott, Taylors, Gibsons...even an '24 L5, Macaferri or National
steels...).  The modeling function actually adds the body resonance
characteristics of these gtrs. Rather than making your guitar sound like a
Martin D18, it adds some of the mic'd-acoustic characteristics of that gtr
to your own sound.  Of all the modelers I have tried, it is the one I
really
like...and even tho it is designed for acoustic gtrs, I find it works
wonderfully with my acoustic electric basses.  I was using the MamaBear to
tweak the tone of my basses subtly; moving to diffrent target models as I
looped bits.
(FWIW...I run the MamaBear in another DTAR preamp ( the Solstice; a four
input mixer blender) and the DTAR Equinox Parametric EQ...all excellent
preamps.  I prefer them even to my Demeter Tube bass preamp....

As to Walter Woods....tho' known for HIGH quality (and high dollar) bass
amps,  His amps are also used quite a bit by Jazz guitarists (much as the
Acoustic Image amps are).  They offer "audio-phile" quality (both WW and
AI)
sound and massive amounts of headroom (my DTAR/AI set is really a very
compact but high powered PA).  Woods amps will run you a couple of
grand..they sometimes show up used on Ebay for not much less than new ones
cost (they hold their value nicely).  He has no website...just a phone #
and
answering machine.  He bulids the amps himself (one at a time, so I have
heard..) and builds his own transformers and other components!  In
addition
to the price, the bad news is there is a long waiting list (2 years) for
these.

Max