Re: Questions about RC50

At 03:42 PM 2/5/2006, Stuart Wyatt wrote:
>I've been trying to find out more information about the new Boss RC50. I
>know it is a couple of weeks before the release, but has anyone tried one?

I doubt anybody has tried one yet, but I saw the demo of it at NAMM.

>I have a few questions which I hope someone on the list can answer:
>
>- Pedal 1 is Record/Play/Overdub.... Is it possible (through the external
>pedals?) to go from record straight into overdub - so that you can record
>seamless pads? This was one of my niggling things about the Repeater
>which
>wound me up so much.

I think the answer is no. I'm not 100% sure, since I forgot to ask this at
the demo. But recording/overdubbing works the same as the RC-20XL, and as
far as I know that pedal doesn't have the Record->overdub feature. In the
RC-20 pedal I think you have to stop recording with a press of the Rec
pedal and then press again with the same pedal to start overdubbing. So
there is always a gap. It looks to me like the RC-50 is the same.

>- There is no mention of  'multiply' or 'insert' anywhere on the info
>pages. Am I right in saying that the unit simply does not have those
>options? Its not the end of the world if this is the case, as I suppose
>you can record a 4 beat loop on phrase 1, then with loop quantize, record
>on phrase 2 an 8/16/whatever loop....

There are no multiply or insert functions. As far as I understood from the
demo, when you use the quantize function while recording a second track,
it
will end up being the same length as the first track. So I don't think
this
really works as a multiply either. If you use it unquantized, you would
have to press really precisely, but maybe that is as close to a multiply
as
you can get.

>- Does the unit have variable feedback?

no. It does have a "fade" function, where both out and in can be faded
with
a variable rate set in the presets. The demonstrator did not know how to
use these features and couldn't show it to me or answer questions about
them. I don't think it works like feedback. Feedback requires that you be
able to continue overdubbing new material as the older stuff is reducing,
and I don't think this fade function does that. It is more like a way to
end a song without it being abrupt. We need to see somebody try it though
to be sure.

>- There is the possibility of 4 external switches - what can these be set
>up to do? & Is there a midi spec sheet available yet?

I think they can be mapped to any of the functions, and if I understood it
correct, the mapping can be different for different presets.

>Cheers. The more I look at the RC50, it looks like a very tasty piece of
>kit, especially for the price.

The list is around $785 I think.

kim