Re: Hardware Drum Looper Recommedations

Thanks again to all of you who replied. This really helps me. I have a couple more questions though:

Rick, in my previous posting I forgot to ask if you could please clarify for me whether ‘MIDI Solutions Active MIDI Thru Box’ would work if I wanted to use Alesis SR-16 as my master MIDI clock for Boss RC-50 looper, while having at the same time Alesis SR-16 connected to another sound module or a PC based sampler, functioning as a trigger/sequencer.  I know that this probably falls into the domain of MIDI basics, but I was not sure if you thought of the MIDI thru box in the context of a setup where a different MIDI device would be sending  master MIDI clock information.

Paul, could I ask you what you are using to loop audio coming out of Handsonic. Do you quantize these audio loops after recording them.

My primary instrument, and the one I would be using the majority of time during performances, is guitar. I have DL4 and was considering getting RC-50 for all the guitar/bass looping. I know that RC-50 is capable of audio quantizing, but it seemed to me that I should stay in the domain of MIDI with my drum looping, knowing that these are MIDI triggered events anyway. But I am new to this subject and perhaps too conservative. This is why these postings are an enormous help to me.

One more note. While checking out promotional video for BOSS Dr880, I noticed that the person doing a demonstration demo was actually putting a drum loop together without stopping playback:

http://www.rolandus.com/Multimedia/Flash/dr880/index.html

under Building a Rhythm

Again, I am new to drum machines, and this might seem very basic to some of you.

Thanks, Rale

mark sottilaro <zerocrossing2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Rafko M wrote: Mark: thanks
> for the recommendation. As you said, the only
> problem is that it Command Stations no longer in
> production and I would be reluctant to buy them
> used.

Why? I get the majority of my gear used, and I sell
stuff on ebay all the time (yes, it's a bad habit) and
as long as you make sure your seller has very good
ratings I've found ebay to be pretty samn safe. E-MU
stuff is pretty much battle ready solid state metal
incased gear. I woudn't be too worried.

Is Roland Handsonic that you mentioned capable
> of live looping, as I described it in my original
> posting. I did not find anything about this when I
> read info about the older model. The new one does
> not seem to have sequencer at all.

Honestly, I know the Hansonic has a pretty simple
built in sequencer but other than using its built in
presets to practice with, I've never recorded anything
with it. When I loop with it I loop its audio out.