Rodrigo y Gabriela (was: Lap Steel - Frisell & Leisz - Michael Manring)

On 9 feb 2006, at 13.05, Ariel Rzezak wrote:

> I've found a lap steel maker here in Buenos Aires :-) (he also
> believes he is the only one). I've been in his studio and became
> more familiar with it. I was blown away. I think i will buy one as
> soon as i can and sure will be looping the hell out of it.

Wow, that's a cool instrument! It's nice to hear that you're up for
learning a new instrument. I've recently been tempted to buy a Stick,
myself, but they are hard to find here in Sweden. Right now I'm
sitting here watching videos of Mexican duo guitarists Rodrigo y
Gabriela and I'm thinking about what cool stuff that woman could do
with looping. She has learned an incredible playing technique for
"percussive" backing guitar. What you hear when she starts beating
the nylon stringed is a complete drum kit, bass and funky chords -
all played at the same time on a Spanish type guitar. There latest
album has an audio CD and a DVD-video with tutorials where she shows
off those tricks in slomo. Very tempting to start learning it. I
guess it can be done on a steel stringed (C&W type) acoustic as well?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)