Re: Changing Meters

On 10 feb 2006, at 20.52, Todd Pafford wrote:

> Start with a 5/8 rhythm (ONE two THREE four five) against a quarter
> note pulse so the whole pattern repeats every 10 eighth notes.  Then
> add a 7/8 rhythm (ONE two THREE four FIVE six seven) over top.  So now
> you've got 7/8 over 5/8 over a steady 2/8 pulse.  Wierd syncopated
> throbbing goodness.  Do the same thing with melodic ostinatos and you
> get a wonderful whirly thing as the ostinatos drift apart and back
> together.  Of course, in this example it takes 35 bars for the whole
> mess to repeat, but I've found you can shorten it nicely by throwing
> in a bar of 6/8 or 8/8 instead of the 7/8 every now and then.

That's an interesting tip. I'll save Todd's post to try it out later
(I guess I won't be able to play it but I can line it up in Mobius -
or EDP - by Sub Insert and stepping between the three meters as the
quantizing base). I'm curious to hear what it's like. This morning
(looong ago....zzzzzZZZZzzz...) I was walking the city with Robert
Rich in my Sony Freestyle CD player. He had all kind of odd meters
and also odd tunings! First time hearing him, I just bought three
albums from CD Baby - nice music. (I love it winter time when you can
walk outdoors in snow with in-ear phones under a warm cap ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)