Re: Looper's Essential Listening revisited:

Hi Per,

It's a bit of both. From what he's said, there are some electronics that
do the same job as standing in front of a very loud amp and controlling
the feedback (like Fripp on "Heroes") that produces infinite sustain, as
opposed to alternating magnets vibrating the strings, which is I think
other devices get huge sustain. That potentially infinte sustain then gets
looped. He also has the guitar wired with an IVL Pitchrider MIDI
interface, so he's driving synths with it too.

The Edge's intro to "With or Without You" is also infinite guitar. There
are apparently only three of them in existence (Daniel Lanois has the
other). Every interview, however, Brook is quite reticent about how the
infinite guitar works at a nuts'n'bolts level, as he says he is in
discussions with manufacturers about marketing it, although I'm not aware
of that having come to anything.

- Tony

Per Boysen <per@boysen.se> wrote:

>On 14 feb 2006, at 23.47, Tony Douglas wrote:
>> Hope that lot was of interest.
>
>Very interesting! Thanks for relating that Soud On Sound article on
>Michael Brook. I have had his album Hybrid since the release in 1985
>and I have always been wondering how he got those sound out of that
>"infinite" guitar. So he was looping then...
>
>Greetings from Sweden
>
>Per Boysen
>www.looproom.com (international)
>www.boysen.se (Swedish)
>--->  iTunes Music Store (digital)
>www.cdbaby.com/perboysen

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.