Repeater Noise

Hi All.....

So I've been using my Repeater for about 3 months now, and it's still
producing basically too much noise to use through my current set up-
looking for any input on possible solutions other than having it modded by
the guy in MA who charges $175.    Would it help to get a small PA set up
instead of an amp? As I understand it, it's an issue of a line level signal
being fed into an amp that is not able to handle it. Any help is greatly
appreciated, I LOVE my Repeater & really really want to show some people
what I can do with it, but with the current level of noise produced, it's
no a possibility.

Thanks all, happy looping!

Matt

here's a post I made on the Electrix board with the basic info on what I
have tried so far :

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

OK, so I've been using this thing with just headphones for a bout a week, I
finally bring it into my music room & set it up with my amp, and it is
HORRIBLY noisy- all sorts of static & hum. It can be drowned out when a
loop is playing, but if you're just idling around it's unbearable. I've
tried running it at the end of my chain straight into the amp. I've tried
running it in the amps FX loop. I've tried using the Repeaters front panel
input & rear input. The weird part is the noise is 100% non-existant over
the headphone out when running to a pair of headphones- but if you run the
headphone out to the amp, the noise shows up again. Please help, it's neat
to be able to hear my loops on headphones but this thing is useless if I
can't put it through an amp.

My set up is Dean 4 string bass/Roland SPD-6/keyboard>>Boss GT6B>>Ibanez
Synth pedal>>Repeater>>Galien Krueger Backline 250 head>>Ampeg 2x10 cab.

I know the problem is the Repeater, this noise has never showed up before,
and it disappears when I remove the Repeater from the equation...

Post # 2 on the subject:

I know SOMETHING is not right in the connections.....I assume the unit
(while a little noisy) is not the main problem here. Like I said initially,
if I just run everything into the Repeater & listen to the output on
headphones, there is none if this noise at all....yet if I run a 1/4" cable
from the headphone out into the amp, all the noise appears again. Same
thing if I hook up the regular outputs to the amp. Yet I can use the amp
just fine if I take the Repeater out of the chain. It's driving me
batty.....I know nothing about this, does it need to be grounded or
something? Would upgrading my cables help? Should I move the unit off my
keyboard? Any help would be great, I love the Repeater's performance, but
as of now I'm the only one who can hear it....

Oh, when I run a line out of the headphone jack into an input on my stereo,
there is no noise either...maybe I should try running it right into my cab
instead of through the amp?

Post #3

ok, went home last night, turned the ground lift switch on my amp 'off',
plugged the Repeater & the amp into the same outlet, still getting the hum.
But it sounds pristine through headphones.

Does anyone know if I'll blow anything up if I run the headphone out
straight into my cabinet? The cab is an Ampeg 2x10....

Post #4

Well, my most recent experiment was to run the Repeater's headphone out
directly into my Ampeg 2x10 cab. The good news- no noise at all. The bad
news- obvs the headphone amp in the Repeater is not driving the cab very
loudly. So I figure it's not the unit, it's probably the FX loop on my amp
& some non-agreeance between the 2. I tried Radio Shack for the suggested
-12db attenuator cable mentioned often in these forums, but they didn't
have one, and so far I have been unsuccessful at locating one. I may have
the Reapeater modded at some point, but for now the cost is a little
steep....

Post #5

OK, I now have a small mixer at home- last night I tried running it between
the output of the Repeater & the return on the amp's FX loop, still no luck
at all.....sucks.