Re: iRiver 7xx (Was: Recommended Dealer for Casio DAT Repair)

At 03:58 PM 2/15/2006, you wrote:
>The iRiver ifp 700 & 800
>series were the only flash mp3 recorders that could power a condenser
>microphone, and they've been discontinued, so if you are interested
>now is the time.

My esteemed spouse gave me an iRiver iFP-799 1Gb recorder for
Xmas.  It's the size of a Bic lighter and records a file in its own
proprietary format that is automagically converted to MP3 on your PC
via USB.  It eats batteries one AA at a time but it can record 34
hours of music at 64 bps or 17 hours at 128 bps.  The line-in has
enough oomph in the preamp for me to use my old passive MD player
mic.  I use it to record rehearsals and performances. I wouldn't use
it for releasing albums but it's brilliant for tracking your
performance.  I edit the field recordings with Audacity and then
download them onto another MP3 player for practice.

The cons are that it's flimsy, easy to turn on accidentally and it
requires you to install software on the PC that you're using to
download.  Moreover, you can't transfer an MP3 or WAV file to it and
then transfer that file to another PC.  But for my purposes it works.

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com
Email: Kevin@TheNettles.com