Re: Guitar Craft String Gauges

     While regular strings will work, they are not optimal.  The standard
NST gauges are:

     .059 .047 .032 .021 .013 .011

     I prefer a .020 instead of the .021 or .022 that some people
gravitate toward.  A .020 will
break more easily at the tuning machine.  I found that supergluing a small
piece of folded up
paper to the tuning head where the string enters, helps immensely with the
string breakage
problem.  It also helps to have a guitar tech setup your guitar for
optimal nut sizing and bridge
adjustment.  Since the lowest string is so thick, I had my tech add a
little bit of graphite epoxy
to the nut to shorten the active length of the string and thus bring the
lowest fretted notes into
better intonation.  Kinda what Buzz Feiten does but without all the
obfuscation.  :)

     For some reason, D'Addario strings sound better to my ear than any of
the others, by a long
shot.  They seem to last much longer too.

     I no longer play any of the Crafty repertoire, though since the
lowest 4 strings are the same
as Cello tuning, I play mostly the Bach Cello Suites on my Ovation.
String length is almost the
same as the Cello as well, just a little shorter.  Then I run the guitar
through all sorts of FX.
Sweet.

     Stephen