Re: PAYOLA [was: HOUSE CONCERTS]

Nick Schillace wrote:

>don't fool yourself into thinking that payola doesn't exist in
>non-commercial/public radio formats. it may not be as well defined as
>a sack of cash but it happens. we recently had a music director let go
>at our major npr station for unethical practices falling loosly in
>this area. i have a close friend who works in public radio and the
>level of "freebies" go well beyond general promotion/review. beyond
>that if one was tenacious enough to cross check what radio stations
>(non-commercial and otherwise) play and what they report they'll find
>cuffs and collar often don't match.

Oooh!  How do *I* get some of that!?!?!?   ;-)  I'll bet it doesn't
amount to the US$800k that SONY paid to get one single into the top
ten.  How many singles get there due to payola?  We're talking big bux.
No wonder the CD has gone up, not down in price since its introduction.

While I'm sure payola of some form (and small magnitude) happens in
non-commercial radio, it is beyond my personal experience in my local
market.  I volunteer at a college station and an NPR member station.
The influence of both stations combined is minuscule in the general
market place of the Lehigh Valley.  But my shows have been known to spur
CD sales.  In the niche markets of prog rock and electronic music,
that's doing REAL GOOD!!  ...but not worth more than the price of a
promo disc, one sheet, mailer, and postage.

I can't help but wonder what that music director you mentioned did.  Can
your friend let us know what kind of freebies are being thown about?  Or
possibly the sources?  (No names, just generalities of job description
and deeds done will do.)

Cheers,

Bill