Newbie Question on Jaco Pastorious + JamMan

Hi,

I've just been introduced to looping, and being somewhat tired of the complications of being in a band, it seems like an awsome way to make some music solo that people can actually have fun listening to.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of setup Jaco used for his typical looping bass solos.  He'd get a short loop, maybe one second going, and then he'd e.q out the bass and sculpt the sound a bit, not sure how.  Then he'd play his bass over the loop, but the bass sound would remain ulaltered.  Does this require some type of stereo setup?  How do you chage the sound coming from the looper going to the amp without changing the resulting sound that you would play over that loop?

Also, as a newbie, I'm wondering if a new DigiTech JamMan is a good place to start?  I got my eye on one at the local music store, hope it's my ticket to solo egocentric bass pointyhead heaven!

Thanks,

Peder, Ottawa, Canada