RE: echoplex- inquiring minds want to know...

> I have two Digital Echoplexes. I was wondering if anyone ever
> tried using chips having memory larger than the 4 meg that is
>recommended
> and what success they had? Would it work with the new Aurisis
> software?

I haven't tried it, but the FAQ says that 16MB (4 x 4MB) is the
max memory.  I expect that the circuitry required to decode
additional address space was never designed into the device.

> Though I am a little late in making upgrades, what is the difference
>with
> using parity and non parity chips? Is there any advantage to either?

The FAQ says that either is fine.  The advantage of parity memory
is that you can detect some (but not all) memory errors.  Even if
the EDP has parity error detect circuitry (unlikely) this won't
have any real benefit.  Errors should be so rare that you would
never notice them, or so frequent (bad SIMM) that you'll hear
them all the time.

> And lastly, what can I expect to get if I use a faster chip (60ns vs
>100ns)?

Well, that is a 5/3 speed ratio, so the pitch of the notes coming
out will be raised by a sixth...  Sorry, just kidding :)  Faster
memory will work exactly the same as the slower memory.  The
bandwidth of any 30-pin SIMM should be way faster than needed to store
and replay audio.

The EDP FAQ is at: http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/FAQ1.html

Cheers,
Rick.