Re: Do I need that EDP?

>...would a dedicated
> guitar power amp like the mesa boogie 20/20 and a
> guitar cabinet make a difference or warm it up?

Absolutely. The tubes of the 20/20 will warm it up and give it a more
spongy
and reactive feel, plus a guitar cab will remove some of the harsh high
end
and warm it up from the low mid range area.  I just recently started using
my electric guitar for jazz with a Mesa Boogie Mark I combo amp, rather
than
running straight into the board after my VF1 (which is what I use for
avant-garde looping) and the difference is vast. I just re-affirmed my
opinion that for live performance no amp modeling can replace the sound of
an actual tube amp, the evolution of the tone over night as it warms up,
etc.  When I first started this new jazz gig, I setup with my two powered
PA
speakers, the Boss  VF1 using the amp/cab simulator, and into my Mackie
board. It was sterile and lifeless, which isn't a problem with I'm running
tons of tone mangling effects on my guitar for my looping gigs.  If you
get
a chance, listen to some of the work that Pat Metheny and John Scofield
did
together. Pat dirties his tone up with a solid state system, whereas John
is
using a tube amp system. In my opinion, Pat's sound sounds like dog
sh*t...harsh, raspy, etc...whereas John's tone is warm and natural
sounding,
yet has a cutting edge to it that is not harsh...a matter of taste, I
admit.

Kris