what a loop has to say

Kris asked:
"Speaking of which, does anyone find it easier to freely improvise when you
aren't using layers and layers of effects, tone mangling devices, etc?"

"Less is More"

"Space is the Place"  -   Sun Ra

Absolutely , Kris.................................I always have this
paradigm in my mind when I go onstage.
Take a Papua New Guinea master musician who has played all of his or her
life.

Have them discover an Analogue Synthesizer hooked up to an amplifier and
turned on in the middle of the forest.

what kind of music would that amazing and deep musician make on something
that they don't understand or have
never even encountered.

At the same time,    I view effects devices as  instruments themseslves.

If you are presented with a Wok Wisk that is playing through a cheesy
Alesis
MidiVerb2 infinite reverb (one of my favorite sounds
 in the world and one that cannot be duplicated with even the most
expensive
Eventide DSP box)   it is a certain sound and it
dictates how you can use it.

The Wok Wisk by itself completely changes it's timbral
context..............................putting anything else through that
cheesy
DSP process and the same thing doesn't happen.

"Timbre is God"  -------------    Frank Zappa