Effects (Was: what a loop has to say)

At 10:28 PM -0700 3/16/06, Kris Hartung wrote:
>Speaking of which, does anyone find it easier to freely improvise
>when you aren't using layers and layers of effects, tone mangling
>devices, etc?  I've found this to be the case with me. I love all
>the cool effects at my disposal - the Boss VF-1, hundreds of VST
>effects, LXP5, etc - but they sometimes produce artificial
>restrictions or boundaries on my creativity.

I go through periods of expansion and contraction in my effects chain
on my guitar.  I have an analytical mind but it gets in the way of my
creative mind.  So I've finally decided I don't like playing with
altered tunings, multi-effects boards, sound modules or anything that
requires non-musical thought.  I like listening to other people do it,
mind.

So I'm now down to a guitar with the effect loops:
1. pitch-shifter-->distortion-->wah-->chorus
2. clean acoustic

with an EQ (for solo boost), delay, reverb and volume following.

In addition:
   a mic that I can play various objects or sing through
   a drum brain for "playing drums" with triggers

I find it easier to turn knobs than to use patches.  I only use
record, overdub, undo, multiply and feedback on my EDP which I  keep
on the same settings all the time.  I prefer continuity in effect. I
guess I'm an analog guy in a digital world.

I have a good palette of sounds to paint with.  But I still think my
signal chain is too complex.

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com