Re: what a loop has to say

> I mean, if you follow the logic of 'hiding behind gear', where do you
>draw
> the line?

You don't. It's a spectrum, or a bell curve. No lines, no black and white.

> When you pluck an acoustic guitar, you aren't making the sound- very
>basic
> technology (strings vibrating over a sound hole) creates the sound. Are
> you
> then hiding behind the technology of the acoustic guitar? I guess only
> vocalists would be considered pure musicians then.  ; )

Perhaps. I've seen this argued before, but that would be the extreme end
of
the spectrum and bell curve. With certain assumptions, one could make a
valid argument for this.

> To me- if I can use it (whether 'it' be a bass, a wood block, a Flanger,
> laptop or a Repeater) to make noise, it's an instrument. From there the
> only thing that matters is how the artist chooses to use the sound
> creation
> device.

I agree with you, philosophically here, but there are still glaring
examples
where not a lot of talent and artistic creativity in producing a piece of
music, but is relying primarily on processing after the fact. I can't be
convinced otherwise, because I see it in the flesh frequently.  It is easy
to say that we are all just using instruments and promote this "I'm Okay,
You're Okay" approach, but in my opinion this is also an all to convenient
way to avoid the talent and creativity component, will varies in radical
degrees in performances.  The fact remains, there are people out there
that
havne't really mastered there instruments or who are intermediate players
(and who will openly admit this) still struggligg with their main
instrument, who use gear to compensate for that. It's not right or wrong,
good or bad...I just see it and think it needs to be recognized.

I'm talking way too much here and getting more acute in my opinions. I
apologize for that. I'll refrain from responding for a while.

Kris