Re: Audio Interface for Notebook Users

Holy moly...talk about a response! Let me see if I can summarize:

1. Echo IO http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php - $200
2. Echo DJ - http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php - $200
3. MOTU Traveler - http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler/ - $849
4. MOTU Ultralite - http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite/ - $549
5. MOTU 828 MKII - http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828/ - $749
6. M-Audio 1814 - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire1814-main.html - $499
7. M-Audio Mobilepre USB - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html - $149
8. Metric Halo Mobile I/O ULN-2 - http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/uln2/ - $1075
9. Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface - http://www.audioamigo.com/edifa101.html - $500
10. Edirol UA-5 (USB 1.1) - http://www.edirol.net/products/en/UA-5/index.html - $300
11. SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook  - http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769 - $100

Most of these are totally overkill for me...there's no flippin' way I'm spending $500-800 on an audio interface, but given the number of inputes these more expensive units have and what they can do, the price does seem right.

Now, for my user requirements:

- 1 stereo ouput, 1 stereo input, 1 mic input (optional)
- Small and portable (no rack mount units), the size of a sandwich preferrably
- USB, Firewire, or PCMCIA (PCMCIA is best, IF AND ONLY IF it does not disable my laptop's soundcard...my Audigy 2 ZS does, which I do not like)
- $300 or less

Given this, the Echos look good, as do the M-AudioMobilepre and Edirol UA-5.

Kris