Re: Audio Interface for Notebook Users

Rafko M wrote:
> After a thorough research on this subject, I found out that if one needs
> multiple audio IN/OUTS, MIDI IN/OUT, HI-Z input, good mic preamps, low
> latency, etc., there are two excellent laptop interfaces in the category
> of "under $500"
>
> 1) Yamaha i88x - this might be overall a better choice, except that it
> is larger in size
>     (480 x 373 x 44mm), i.e. not as portable as the second one. This is
> a firewire
>     interface. You should be able to find it for $380 new. This one
> apparently competes
>     well with MOTU's and Digidesign's more expensive interfaces.
>
> 2)  E-MU 1616M. Connects via included PCMCIA card. It's around $500.
>
> Both of these interfaces were reviewed in 'Sound on Sound' and a number
> of other tech magazines.
>
> Rafko

I was just helping a friend with a similar purchase, and we stumbled
across a couple new interfaces from Alesis.  Apparently only the smaller
of the two is shipping right now.  I know absolutely nothing about their
sound, reliability, or anything else, but they do look like they offer a
fair bit of functionality for the price.  The smaller one looks like it
only has two line-out channels, which makes it not so looper-friendly,
but the larger one has 8.

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=95

and

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=96