RE: European power adapter (was: how to blow up your equipment)

Title: RE: European power adapter (was: how to blow up your equipment)

>>I think electromechanical stuff, like motor drives, could be affected by this. I seem to remember reading that the motors in at least some mellotrons took particular exception to receiving the wrong frequency.<<

only the older machines with mains driven motors; the more common m400 has a dc motor & a servo somewhat akin to those found in decent 1/4" machines like revoxes. but the same issue (50Hz/60Hz) might also affect hammond tonewheel organs.... a lot of cheaper 1/4" machines & a great many turntables also used synchronous motors that rely on mains frequency for speed regulation. dreadful idea.

fwiw, I run a great deal of audio & midi equipment by feeding regulated 8V around on the spare wires in my midi connections. the 8V comes from a sony camcorder supply which works off anything from 80-300V ac & (not that I've tried it) any frequency. it says.

I carry a spare.

the exceptions are a couple of alesis boxes (s4+ module, quadraverb) where I've had to source a suitable mains transformer.... there was room inside the s4+ for a little toroidal transformer, fuse & so forth, & I put a 110/220 switch in there too. & there's enough capacity for it to power the quadraverb via a link between the original dc jacks on the two modules. I label the back of the gear whenever I've opened it to change the voltage. my alesis mixer had a dual-primary transformer already, so I just added a switch to make it 110/220 compatible.

the two jam-mans, at the moment, need different power units for 110 & 220 operation. I am trying to find a small-enough switching supply to fit inside the jam-man itself..... but the jam-man appears to be one of those awkward boxes that does something else with the 9V ac supply besides turn it into 5V dc. I hate wall-warts, especially on stage. I know they save the manufacturers (& us?) some money, but they absolutely suck in an environment that could in any way be described as "professional".

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe