Re: Repeater Bump

     I have had 5 Repeaters cross my workbench and/or studio in recent
times and they all exhibit
this "loop point bump".  Just to make sure, I fired up my two Repeaters
(OS 1.1) this morning and
recorded silent loops, faded in and out organ tones, and got that famous
bump.  Then I recorded a
silent loop, trimmed the front and back, recorded on two different tracks,
and still got the bump.
 Until the Gentleman-with-a-slight-deficiency-in-the-manners-department
chimed in, I have not yet
heard of anyone NOT experiencing this bump.

     Feeling kinda curious about this thread, I called my friend Peter
Toms and asked him about
it.  He is the main service guy for all things Electrix.  I asked him if
he ever saw a unit that
didn't have the loop point bump and he said "no".  And this is after
having 75 or so units cross
his desk.  Then I asked him if this was a hardware or software issue to
which is said, "definately
software".  And that it has supposedly been fixed in the OS 2.0 update.
(Still no word on whether
or not that will ever see the light of day).

     Then we got onto talking about the first 20 Repeaters that were
shipped in the early days as
"Rev B" units, not the more common "Rev C".  They won't even support an OS
1.1 update.  He has to
go in and change out some of the EProm chips by downloading the software
and burning some new
ones.  These first 20 units are rather unstable and really need to be
upgraded.  They have an OS
BETA 1.0 version installed.  Interestingly enough, he has 5 of those 20 in
his shop right now.
It's easy to tell if you have one of these early units by the startup
message.  If it flashes
"Repeater 1.0" or "Repeater 1.1", you're fine.

     That being said, I find the Repeater to be an extremely useful tool.
I have put that loop
point bump to good use on several ocassions.  A good example can be found
by listening to the
piece entitled "The Return" found at:
 http://www.sohl.com/improvisations/Splash%20of%20Light/index.htm
Or http://tinyurl.com/gjqcp if that's easier to click on.